If you have earnings that require you to file federal and/or state income tax returns and you will be out of the country between January 1 and April 15 when taxes are due, you can file your taxes from abroad. You may need to arrange to have tax forms sent to you or have taxes paid for you while you are out of the country. It is also possible to ask for an extension. Be sure to know what your tax responsibilities are and how to comply while you are away.  An official tax guide for U.S. citizens and resident aliens abroad can be found on the IRS website.