When Financial Documentation is Required

You must provide updated financial documentation for a new I-20 or DS-2019, if requested by the Office of International Services (OIS), for the following reasons:

Academic Changes or Requests
  • Change of Education Level
  • Add Concurrent Major/Degree
  • Extension of I-20/DS-2019
  • Post-Completion Academic Training
Other Changes or Requests
  • Updated Finances
  • Add a Dependent Spouse or Child
  • F-1 Reinstatement
  • New Initial I-20 to Regain Status

International students must secure financial support to meet their educational and living expenses each academic year. The total amount of expenses is based on average costs for tuition, fees, books and supplies, insurance, and room and board and is adjusted every year.

How Much Should I Show?

  • F-1 students = the lesser of one academic year or the duration of their program
  • J-1 students = the entire period of their program or extension

Financial documentation will remain valid for one year from the date it is submitted and can be used for other requests during that time. If you submitted financial documentation during the last year, but it does not cover the full amount you must show now you will need to submit additional documentation that shows your ability to cover the difference.

Find the current budget year for the following programs:

Acceptable Forms of Financial Documentation

You may submit financial documentation from a single or multiple sources of funding for yourself, your family*, or any third-party sponsor. Documentation should be written in English or include an English translation. Funding should be shown in U.S. dollars and clearly lists your full name. You may include a printout of the conversion from foreign currency to U.S. dollars using OANDA.com. Copies or electronic documents are acceptable.

Examples of Documentation
  • Personal bank or savings account statement
  • Family member’s bank or savings account statement*
  • Assistantship award letter
  • Scholarship award letter
  • Home country/employer sponsorship award letter
  • Retirement fund accounts
  • Stock certificates
  • Real estate holdings
  • Letter of good financial standing from bank
  • Cryptocurrency or other non-liquid funds
*Affidavit of Support

The Office of International Services (OIS) asks spouses, relatives, and other personal sponsors to complete the Affidavit of Support form when funds held in their name are provided as financial documentation by an international student. The affidavit of support helps OIS employees confirm the legitimacy of financial documentation presented by the student.

Sponsored Students

If you are sponsored by your home government, cultural mission, or a foreign employer, you need to show updated financial documentation that covers your current major field of study and degree level and is valid for the full period of the I-20 or DS-2019. If your current financial guarantee does not cover the entire period, you may need to show additional proof of funding. You should secure the appropriate documentation from your sponsor before requesting a new I-20 or DS-2019.