The Sponsored Student Program is available to assist all sponsored students with the OSU third party billing process, medical insurance, and transcripts.

Who is a Sponsored Student?

A Sponsored Student is any student who has a scholarship from their home university, home embassy, a company, or a U.S. government agency. The Sponsored Student Program will assist both international and domestic sponsored students.

How does the program work?

  1. Sponsored Student Program receives students’ financial guarantee/support letters from students or sponsors.
  2. Sponsored Student Program updates students’ sponsorship information in the school system and forwards the letter to the OSU Student Finance office or the INTO OSU Finance office. 
  3. OSU Student Finance office (for OSU degree-seeking students) or INTO OSU Finance office (for INTO OSU students) prepares an invoice, which is sent directly to the sponsoring agency.
  4. The sponsoring agency makes payment for the amount invoiced per student.

**Please Note: OSU will only provide invoices to sponsoring agencies participating in the International Sponsored Student Program.

What do I need to know as a Sponsored Student?

To learn about your role as a Sponsored Student and how the Sponsored Student Program can assist you during your study at OSU, please review the Sponsored Student Program Overview (PDF).

What are the appropriate letters to request from Academic Advisors at College of Engineering?

Academic Advisors at College of Engineering will write letters if a student/sponsor has following requests:

  • Progress reports detailing how many credits students have left to complete the program and expected dates of graduation
  • Letter stating how past work will transfer to a new major, including expected dates of graduation
  • Letter verifying that a student is on track to apply to pro-school; indication of their likelihood of admittance to the professional program based on their pre-core GPA

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

I want to take some courses at another institution. What courses at other institutions transfer back as OSU courses?  
  • Click here to learn about “Transfer Course Equivalencies.” “Transfer Course Equivalencies” shows what courses at other institutions will be transferred back as OSU courses.
I need a letter stating that I am approved to change a major within College of Engineering.
  • Students in the Pre-engineering program do not need to receive approvals or authorizations from an academic advisor to change majors within College of Engineering. Academic advisors will not issue a letter since there is no approval process.
I need a letter confirming that I am currently enrolled.
  • Click here to go to your student online account and access your unofficial transcript. Unofficial transcripts contain information on your current enrollment and registration status.
  • Click here to request an OSU official verification of enrollment through the Office of the Registrar.
What are the beginning and end dates of each term?
  • Click here to find out about the end of term dates.
I need to extend my scholarship.
  • Academic advisors will not issue a letter for an extension of scholarship.
My sponsor needs verification of online classes.
  • Students need to meet with an international student advisor to find out how many online courses a student can take per immigration regulations.
  • Some sponsors do not allow their students to take any online courses. Please check with your sponsor.
I need verification stating that a certain course counts towards baccalaureate core requirements for the major.
  • Click here to view a complete list of Baccalaureate CORE classes at OSU. You can find out what courses count towards Baccalaureate CORE classes at OSU.
I need a letter that shows that I am currently on Honor Roll/Dean’s List at OSU.
  • Students earning twelve or more credits during an academic term with a term GPA of 3.5 or higher are eligible for OSU’s Honor Roll.  Honor Roll at OSU is comparable to a Dean’s List at other U.S. institutions. 
  • Your Honor Roll status is indicated on your official transcript from OSU. Click here to request your official transcript from the Office of the Registrar and send it to your sponsor directly.
I need verification stating that my physics coursework taken at Portland State University (PSU) is applicable to my engineering program at OSU.
  • The College of Engineering at OSU accepts the following course equivalencies toward engineering degree requirements:

PSU Course

OSU Equivalent

PH 211 + PH 214

PH 211

PH 212 + PH 215

PH 213

PH 213 + PH 216

PH 212