Oregon State University supports students and scholars that wish to bring their family member spouse and children to the United States. There are many things to consider when you move your family to another place. We have compiled many of the common resources for your convenience.

To navigate, use the list of links on the right side of the page.

Things to Consider

Before bringing your family with you to Corvallis,  you should consider the added expenses for medical insurance, medical  care, living expenses, and perhaps school-related expenses. Make careful  financial plans before you arrive; Support for each dependent (spouse or  child) for one year in Corvallis is estimated to be over $5,000. There is limited University housing for families at OSU and there is a  long wait before an on-campus apartment is available. However,  off-campus housing is generally available for families with children,  but not necessarily close to the campus. The average cost of a  two-bedroom apartment is $800-$900 per month. Please note that not all  apartments will rent to families with children.

Bringing Dependents

Dependents are the primary international scholar's spouse or an unmarried minor child under 21 years of age. Dependent visa types will vary depending on the primary scholar’s visa type. Please visit Bringing Dependents for more information on how to bring your dependent (spouse and/or child) to the United States.

Bringing Other Family Members to the United States

 Family members or friends that are not your direct relative are not considered a dependent. Non-dependent family members will need to apply for a B visitor visa to visit the United States or a different visa type. Please review the information under B Tourist Visa for Non-Dependent Family in Bringing Dependents for more information.

Benefits of Dependent Family Members

Dependents have different employment and educational benefits depending on their visa type. Please see Dependent Benefits for more information.

Schooling for Dependent Children

Review what documentation is required to enroll dependent family members in Corvallis Public Schools.

Medical Care for Dependents

Review the medical requirements for international students and scholars stated by the State of Oregon and the Department of State.

Resources for Families