If you are transferring to Oregon State University (OSU) from another school in the US, you will need to complete a transfer in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) with your current school.

Receiving an OSU I-20 as a Transfer In Student
  1. Gain admission to OSU

  2. Fill out the Transfer in form with an international student advisor at your current school

  3. Send the completed transfer in form to the Office of International Services (OIS)

  4. Complete any necessary forms with your current school to set up your SEVIS transfer

  5. Your current school will release your SEVIS record to OSU

  6. OIS will issue a Transfer Pending I-20 7 days after the release date indicated by your school

  7. Attend orientation, complete immigration document check-in requirements, and register full-time at OSU

  8. OIS will issue a Transfer Complete I-20 by the end of the second week of the term


You must register full-time on campus in your first term at OSU even if you will start during summer term. Course offerings may not be available in your major during the summer, so you may need to defer your admission to the fall term in order to maintain your visa status. Contact us about this before you set up your transfer if you have concerns.


You will be eligible to work on-campus (including as part of a graduate assistantship) as soon as your SEVIS record has been released to OSU. You will need a valid Transfer Pending I-20 to complete the OSU hiring paperwork.


Use your OSU Transfer Pending I-20 to re-enter the United States if you plan to travel before beginning your studies at OSU. No travel signature is needed to travel with a Transfer Pending I-20. You will receive a travel signature on the Transfer Complete I-20 after the start of the term.

F-1 Visa

You do not need to apply for a new F-1 visa stamp unless your visa has already expired and you plan to travel outside the United States. Your current F-1 visa will remain valid until its expiration date, regardless of the school name listed on it. Use your Transfer Pending I-20 if you need to renew your F-1 visa. You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.