F-1 and J-1 students may bring their spouse and/or children to the U.S. on a dependent visa, known as an F-2 or J-2 visa. To apply for a dependent visa, the F-1 or J-1 student will first need to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) for the dependent by following these steps:

  1. Make an appointment with an international student advisor to discuss funding requirements and other issues related to bringing dependents to the US.

  2. Complete the Dependent Document Request E-Form and attach a copy of the ID page from each dependent’s passport.

  3. Provide documentation of financial support to cover the costs of the dependents and your own program expenses.

Other Considerations for Dependents

The State of Oregon requires all international students and their dependents to carry health and accident insurance throughout their stay in the United States. Federal regulations specifically require health insurance for J-1 visa holders and their dependents. Students with dependents are responsible for enrolling them in a health insurance plan.  Contact Student Health Services for more information about OSU options.

Note: Dependents who plan to visit the US for 6 months or less and engage in tourist activities may apply for a B-2 tourist visa

Dependents on an F-2 visa are NOT allowed to work at any time during their stay in the US. Dependents on a J-2 visa are eligible to apply for employment authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1 student or scholar. For more information visit the J-2 Employment Authorization page or meet with an an international student advisor.

Effective May 29, 2015, F-2 adult dependents of F-1 students studying in the United States may now study in degree and non-degree academic programs in the U.S. An F-2 spouse or F-2 child may enroll in less than a full course of study, as defined in 8 CFR 214.2(f)(6)(i)(A)-(D) in any course of study or program at a SEVP-certified college or university.  Less than full-time enrollment at OSU is defined in the following ways:

  • Undergraduate Degree/Non-degree - 11 credits or less per term

  • Graduate Degree/Non-degree - 8 credits or less per term

  • INTO OSU Academic English - No more than 9 credits per term

Should a student in F-2 status wish to enroll in a full-time course of study, they must change their status to F-1. A full-time course of study as an F-2 student is considered a violation of immigration status.

Dependents on a J-2 visa are allowed to study part-time or full-time in either a degree or non-degree program

F-2 and J-2 dependents may study full-time in elementary through high school without any additional authorization needed. To enroll your children in Corvallis Public Schools, please obtain the following documents from your home country:

  • An official birth certificate, a signed hospital certificate, or a passport as valid proof of your child's birth date

  • Official copies of the child's school records

  • All immunization records with names and dates of vaccines received. Required immunization for all school-aged children are diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, rubella, and polio. In addition, some children from outside the United States must be screened for active tuberculosis infection.

This is a non-religious volunteer program that offers beginning to advanced instruction in English. The cost is minimal and limited childcare may be available for an additional cost. The school is not only a place to learn English, but also offers a social environment where women from all over the world can make friends and feel more at home in the community and culture. Further information and enrollment forms are available in the Office of International Services or online.

Inviting Family to the U.S.

If family members would like to visit you in the U.S. for a short period of time, they should follow the procedures outlined by the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. In most cases, family members would apply for a B-2 (tourist) visa. For a list of U.S. embassy and consulate websites, please refer to: http://usembassy.state.gov/.

You may provide your relatives with additional information to assist them in their visa interview, regardless of the reason for their visit:

  • An invitation letter that you write (see below for more information)

  • Copies of your I-20/DS-2019, passport, visa and I-94

  • Copies of your academic transcripts

  • An OSU enrollment verification letter

  • Commencement ceremony information

Other Considerations for Family Members

The most common reason that tourist visas are denied is because the applicant is believed to have “immigrant intent.” Applicants must show that they do not wish to remain in the United States. If applicants are not able to show this, the consular officer may deny the visa.

Some of the ways applicants can attempt to prove that they do not have “immigrant intent” is by producing documents showing:

  • They have a job to return to in their home country

  • They own property in their home country

  • An itinerary for their visit to the United States

  • They have the funds to finance the trip

  • Any other documentation showing they have a reason to return to their home country

Invitation Letter

You may wish to write an “invitation letter” for your family members to submit with their application for the B-2 visa. Our experience has shown that invitation letters written by students may assist family members in obtaining a visa. However, as with any visa application, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The letter does not need to be on official letterhead or in any particular format, however, you may download a sample letter of invitation to use.

The Office of the Registrar is also issuing Commencement Visa Letters for students who are graduating and inviting their families to attend the ceremony.