If you previously attended OSU as an international student, please contact an international student advisor to discuss how you may resume your studies here.  We recommend you contact an advisor at least two months before your desired return date, so there is adequate time to review your situation and issue new immigration documents to you. You must resolve any registration holds remaining on your account before enrolling again.

Enrollment Eligibility

INTO OSU Students

Check with Academic Support to confirm that you have a return program by emailing intoacademicsupport@oregonstate.edu. If you’ve been gone for an extended period of time and have not spoken with Academic Support about your return you may need to submit another application to International Admissions.

Undergraduate Students

You may reenroll after an absence of 3 terms or less, not including summer, provided you were eligible to re-enroll after your last term of attendance. After an absence of 4 or more terms, not including summer, you must reapply with the Office of the Registrar.

Graduate Students

Contact the Graduate School. Please note that if you did not complete a Leave of Absence form prior to your departure, you may be required to re-apply for admission to your program.


If you would like to return to OSU or INTO OSU following a suspension you must appeal and be re-admitted. For degree students please e-mail registrars@oregonstate.edu for more information. For INTO OSU students please email intoacademicsupport@oregonstate.edu.

Procedure for Obtaining a New I-20/DS-2019 to Return to OSU

  1. Check your Enrollment Eligibility with the department indicated above.

  2. Contact the Office of International Services if you have questions about getting a new I-20.

  3. Complete the Returning Student Request Form. Degree seeking students must get a signature from their academic advisor or academic department to complete the form.

    1. Provide required financial documentation. If you have been at OSU within one year of your re-admittance, you may complete the Financial Certification online to provide proof of funding through IP Connect. If you have been away from OSU for longer than a year, you will need to provide financial documents.

  4. Sign up for shipping services to have your document mailed if necessary.

Immigration Status Concerns


In order to activate your new initial I-20/DS-2019, you are required to pay a SEVIS fee at http://www.fmjfee.com.

Visa Validity

If you have been out of the U.S. for less than 5 months and you still have a valid F-1/J-1 visa, you may enter the U.S. with your current F-1/J-1 visa. According to the Department of State if you have been out of the U.S. for 5 months or more, you may need to apply for a new F-1/J-1 visa even though the visa may appear unexpired. Please check with the US consulate or embassy for guidance on whether or not you need a new visa.


If you have violated the terms of your F-1 visa status, you should discuss your options with an International Student Advisor. While you are out of status, you are not eligible for any benefits of your status including on-campus or off-campus employment and travel signatures. Since violating your visa status can have a serious impact on you, it is vital that you understand how you may be affected.