Faculty and staff traveling abroad as an Oregon State University employee may find the following resources useful when planning their travel.

Information for Employees who are not citizens or permanent residents of the US

If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, ensure your US immigration documents, including passport validity and necessary visa stamps, are in order well in advance of your travel date. Visit our travel page for information that is specific to your non-immigrant visa category and status.

Travel Registration

If you are traveling on behalf of the University, you must register your trip with the Office of International Affairs.  Learn about risks, global insurance and travel assistance coverage for working abroad.  Did you know the State purchases insurance for employees working abroad?

Travel Medicine

An extensive travel program is available to serve student employees, faculty and staff who are traveling abroad. At the time of the consultation, comprehensive information specific to destinations will be reviewed and immunizations and prescriptions will be given, as appropriate.

Export Control

Export control regulations are federal laws that prohibit the unlicensed export of certain commodities or information for reasons of national security or protections of trade.  Find out if your work abroad might be affected by visiting the Export Control and International Compliance website.

U.S. Department of State

A must for anyone planning a trip outside the United States, including enrollment in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). The U.S. Department of State website includes tips for travelling abroad, Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, what to do in an emergency, travel warnings, and travel advisories.


Double check that your passport will be valid for at least six months beyond your anticipated return to the U.S. and that your name matches you other photo identification.  If you need to renew or apply for a passport visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Visas:  Do You Need One?

Visit the U.S. Department of State website for country-specific information, including exit/entry requirements, location of the U.S. embassy, crime and security information health and medical conditions, drug penalties. There are visa service providers who can assist with the visa application process, e.g. Visa Network, VisaHQ or Global Visas.

OSU Student Health Services Travel Clinic

OSU Faculty and Staff traveling abroad for business or research should schedule a pre-travel consultation at the SHS Travel Clinic, in addition to registering the trip at the Office of Risk Management. Student Health Services maintains membership in the International Society of Travel Medicine and provides international certificates of vaccination and other documentation that may be required for your travel.

Centers for Disease Control & Prevention

Visit the CDC website for detailed travel health information for over 200 destinations, general information for travel vaccinations, diseases related to travel, what to do if you get sick or injured abroad, tips for staying healthy and safe.

Cultural Information

This guide by the OSU Library is intended to support the research, coursework, and special interests of students, staff, and faculty at Oregon State University to assist with research that is global or international in scope.

OSU Sabbatical Leave

For information about the policy and procedures for sabbatical leave while employed at OSU, please click here.

US Travelers Abroad and Travel Checklist

The U.S. Travelers Abroad and Travel Checklist has resources from the U.S. Department of State and Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Other Resources