International students and scholars should file a tax return each year. It is your responsibility to comply with relevant tax laws.

International students and scholars who received US sources of income during any part of the previous calendar year must file US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) income tax forms and State of Oregon Department of Revenue forms by April 15th (date may change due to holidays). Income could include on-campus employment, graduate assistantships, OSU scholarships, practical training, US funding, stipends or other sources.  

Any international students, scholars or dependents not receiving income from US sources (but who were physically present in the US) should file IRS informational Form 8843.

Office of International Services (OIS) staff are not tax professionals and cannot assist international students and scholars with tax advising or tax return preparation.

Sprintax Online Tax Filing Software

As an OSU student and scholar, you have free access to Sprintax, an online tax software to assist you with filing your federal income taxes. OIS will send you a payment code via your ONID email account by late February to use Sprintax. If you have not received a Sprintax access code by late February, please email

If you need extra assistance or have a complicated tax situation, you can also hire a tax professional.  Many tax professionals are called Certified Public Accountants (CPAs). You may also wish to prepare your own tax return without assistance.


Sprintax can be accessed from any computer that is connected to the internet and a printer.  Sprintax will help you prepare your tax return and provide you with step-by-step instructions of when to file, how to file, and where to file your taxes. You will not be able to submit your tax forms online.

Sprintax has many benefits to international students and scholars, including the ability to use a 24-hour live instant messaging tool with tax experts to answer your questions. If you have any questions about using the Sprintax software, please contact or use the Live Messenger tool in your Sprintax account.

Please do not share the Sprintax access code with anyone other than international students and scholars at OSU as we have a limited number of codes available. The access code will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis, so please file your taxes early.

Note: Federal tax preparation is free using OSU’s Sprintax code; however, if you need to apply for an ITIN, file a State Tax form, are not classified as a non-resident for the entire tax year, or complete another tax service, there may be a small fee.


If you want to learn more about how to use Sprintax, come to our Sprintax Workshops, offered each Winter term during tax season. Please note: Presenting OIS staff are not licensed or certified tax accountants and are therefore not qualified to advise on tax preparation.

Oregon State University Contacts for Tax Forms

Students or scholars receiving salary or payment from OSU may contact staff in the OSU Payroll Office to help with questions on tax withholding, FICA withholding, non-resident versus resident for tax purposes and tax treaty eligibility.

Students receiving OSU scholarships may contact staff in OSU Business Affairs Student Finance for assistance with the tax reporting Form 1042-S.

Use Caution When Sharing Personal Information

Every tax season, there is an increase in the number of phishing emails received, and we urge caution when clicking on links contained in emails or responding to requests for account information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details. Learn more about tax scams online from

Additional Resources

Below is a listing of some of the publications you may need to file your taxes.  For additional forms and publications, refer to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or Oregon Department of Revenue websites.  Remember to photocopy all completed forms for your reference before mailing them to the Internal Revenue Service and Oregon Department of Revenue.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - The IRS is the federal government office that manages US taxes and their website has comprehensive information on how to file your taxes. The IRS offers specific tax information for International Students and Scholars and also offers Telephone and In-Person Assistance.

Below is a listing of some of the forms you may need to file your federal returns:

State Tax Information - In addition to a Federal (US) tax return, you might need to file a state income tax return. These are some of the forms you may need to file your state returns: Form 40N and Instructions for 40N/P.

Tax Documents

Updates (2017)