Dear Members of the OSU Community:
The President of the United States signed an executive order related to immigration on January 27, 2017. This order prohibits non-U.S. citizens from seven countries (Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen) from entering the United States until at least April 27, 2017. This order has resulted in significant uncertainty around international travel.
Until there is greater clarity on details of implementation and enforcement of this executive order, we strongly recommend that you carefully assess all international travel plans, including travel plans to unlisted countries, based on the: importance of the travel during this time of uncertainty; travel destinations; and immigration, U.S. visa, and U.S. residency status of the individual traveling.
To minimize potential difficulty for international travelers we strongly recommend that any of the following individuals not travel internationally without first obtaining legal advice from an immigration attorney:
- a person who is a citizen of one of the 7 listed countries,
- a person who was born in one of the 7 listed countries and is not a U.S. citizen, or
- a person holding dual citizenship in one of the 7 listed countries.
As President Ray indicated in his message earlier today, we value each of the students and employees within our university community that are affected by this executive order. For additional information about President Ray’s response to this executive order, see his full statement at: http://leadership.oregonstate.edu/president/executive-orders-are-unfair-osu-will-remain-sanctuary-university
If you need assistance regarding international travel considerations, please contact the Office of International Services in the Division of International Programs – (541) 737-6310. Additionally, all travelers going abroad should visit the US State Department website while planning travel and prior to departure.
- OSU ASOSU Legal Services – provides free attorney consultations directly to any OSU student, regardless of where the student is located – (541) 737-4165 or http://asosu.oregonstate.edu/legal-advising
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Immigration Lawyer Referral Service – provides referrals to immigration attorneys across the US - http://www.ailalawyer.com/
- Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service – initial 30 min. consultation for $35 with a member of the Oregon State Bar - (1-800-452-7636) or http://www.osbar.org/public/ris/
Interim Provost and Executive Vice PresidentMark Hoffman
Vice Provost for International Programs