If you previously attended OSU as an international student, please contact an international student advisor to discuss how you may resume your studies here.  We recommend you contact an advisor at least two months before your desired return date, so there is adequate time to review your situation and issue new immigration documents to you. To make an appointment with an advisor, please contact our main office at 541-737-6310.  Please notify the receptionist if you are out of town and need to schedule a telephone appointment.  You may also reach an advisor by email.

Enrollment Eligibility

Before resuming your program, you may need to contact other offices on campus to ensure you are eligible to return and enroll in classes again.  In most cases, you are eligible to resume studies at OSU if you have been gone for less than one year and you were in good academic standing when you left.  You must resolve any registration holds remaining on your account before enrolling again.

Undergraduate students should contact  the Office of the Registrar to verify they are still eligible to enroll at OSU.  Graduate students should contact the Graduate School.  Graduate students, please note that if you did not complete a Leave of Absence form prior to your departure, you may be required to re-apply for admission to your program. 

Immigration Status

If you attended OSU on an F-1 visa and you have been outside the United States for more than five months, you will need to request a new I-20 to resume your program.  A new SEVIS record will be created for you, and you will need to pay the SEVIS fee again.  Please note that your F-1 visa is no longer valid after an absence from the country of more than five months.

If you attended OSU on a J-1 visa, you will need to request a new DS-2019 to resume your program.  A new SEVIS record will be created for you, and you will need to pay the SEVIS fee again.  Please note that you may need to apply for a new J-1 visa if your current one will have expired by the time you intend to return to OSU.

You may need to submit financial documentation to our office before a new I-20 or DS-2019 is issued to you.  Your documentation should show your ability to pay for all the expenses for one academic year (12 months), or the duration of your program, whichever is less.  Current figures for expenses are available on the Office of Admissions website under Finances and Funding.

Procedure for Returning to OSU

  1. Contact an international student advisor to discuss your immigration status.  It is important to contact an advisor as early as possible, since you may need to complete other processes to return to OSU, such as applying for a new visa.
  2. Verify with the appropriate OSU offices that you are eligible to re-enroll and resume your academic program.
  3. Submit the Returning Student I-20/DS-2019 Request Form to ISAS (found on the Forms site).  Include all required financial documentation for the request.
  4. Once you receive the new I-20 or DS-2019, pay the SEVIS fee online at www.fmjfee.com
  5. If necessary, apply for a new F-1 or J-1 visa at a U.S. consular office or embassy.