Students on an F-1 or J-1 visa may request to bring their spouse and/or children to the U.S. on a dependent visa, known as an F-2 or J-2 visa. Note: Dependents who plan to visit you for a short period (6 months or less) and engage only in tourist activities may apply for a B-2 tourist visa.

Documentation of Financial Support

To bring a spouse and/or children to Corvallis, you must provide documentation of your financial ability to support them for the duration of their stay. A bank statement or other proof of support must be presented to International Student Advising and Services (ISAS) before a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) can be issued. For the 2013-2014 academic year, your financial statement must document that you have a minimum of about $9,000 for the support of a spouse or child and $4,000 for each additional dependent. This funding is in addition to funds used for your own expenses.

Additional information can be found on our Forms page for bringing dependents to the U.S.

Health and Accident Insurance

The State of Oregon requires all international students and their dependents to carry health and accident insurance throughout their stay in the United States. In addition, federal regulations require health insurance for J-1 students and their dependents. Students with dependents are responsible for enrolling them in a health insurance plan. For information regarding OSU health insurance options, contact the OSU Student Health Insurance Liaison in 328 Plageman Hall (541-737-7568).

Cost of Medical Care

OSU's Student Health Services is available to enrolled students only. Dependents will need to seek health care in the community. A typical office visit may cost $80-$150 dollars if not covered by insurance. The average cost for a hospital stay (not including medical supplies, surgery, nursing care, medication, etc.) is about $400 per day. An unexpected illness or accident can cost thousands of dollars. Good health insurance coverage is therefore essential.

Registering for Classes

Dependents on an F-2 visa are NOT allowed to study either part-time or full-time in a degree-seeking program during their stay in the U.S. unless the study is strictly recreational or avocational in nature (e.g. a dance class). If an F-2 dependent wishes to pursue a degree, he or she must first apply for and obtain F-1 status.


Dependents on an F-2 visa are NOT allowed to work at any time during their stay in the U.S. Dependents on a J-2 visa are eligible to apply for employment authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1 student. Please see an international student advisor for more information or view the J-2 Employment Authorization Application Instructions form on our Forms page (J Exchange Visitors in the Student category).

Primary and Secondary School Enrollment

To enroll your children in Corvallis Public Schools, you will need to eview the information and required documents on our Schooling for Dependents Page.

English Courses

There are many English language learning opportunities for students, and dependents in the Corvallis and surrounding area.


If you have questions about your immigration status, schedule an appointment with an international student advisor by contacting an advisor with the Office of International Services.