The Department of State (DOS) requires that ALL J-1 Exchange Visitors (J visa type) have medical insurance in effect for themselves and any dependents in J-visa status for the duration of their stay in the United States. Details found in the Code of Federal Regulations [22 CFR 62.14].

Mandatory Insurance Requirements

  • Minimum Coverage

Health insurance policies must meet the minimum benefit requirements set by the U.S. Department of State per [22 CFR 62.14]


(1) medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;

(2) repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;

(3) expenses associated with medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and

(4) a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

  • Additional Terms

A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements shall not have a deductible that exceeds $500 per accident or illness, and must meet other standards specified in the regulations.

Exchange Visitors, and any accompanying spouse and dependent(s), also may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.

  • Maintenance of Insurance

Willful failure on the scholar's part to maintain the required insurance will result in the termination of his/her exchange program.


  • Postdoctoral Scholars: See the OSU Postdoctoral Scholar Insurance page for details on insurance coverage offered as part of this training category.
  • Other positions (faculty or staff): Faculty or staff may be eligible for PEBB health insurance. Scholars should review their offer of employment to determine whether or not insurance coverage will be offered. Insurance for Employees of OSU.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE: additional insurance coverage is necessary to satisfy U.S. Department of State requirements namely Emergency Medical Evacuation & Repatriation. Scholars must purchase this supplemental coverage, as it is not included in Public Employees’ Benefit Board coverage.


Forms and Documents

  • Health Insurance for J-1 Exchange Visitors (pdf): The information on this page listed as a PDF with a listing of companies that provide health insurance policies specifically for international visitors to the United States.
  • J-1 Visiting Scholar Insurance Verification Form (pdf): All J-1 Exchange Visitors are required to enroll in insurance which meets the stated insurance requirements and submit this form upon arrival at Oregon State University.