Before traveling outside of the US all international visitors should verify that their immigration documents are in order.


Do you need a visa?
If a you intend to visit a country other than your home country, contact the consulate or embassy for the country you intend to visit to inquire whether you will need a visa. Learn about the the procedures and timeline for visa applications. Embassies of Other Nations in the U.S.

Is your passport valid?
Passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond the date you plan to re-enter the U.S and, ideally, should be valid at least six months beyond your intended stay in the US. If a you need to renew you passport, contact your home country's embassy in the U.S. and learn about the procedures and timeline for passport extensions. Embassies of Other Nations in the U.S.

Is your US visa valid?
All international visitors who travel outside of the US must have a valid visa (for their current non-immigrant status) in order to re-enter the US. If your visa will expire prior to re-entering the U.S., or if you have a single entry visa, you must apply for a new visa while outside of the U.S. The only exception to this regulation is if you are traveling to Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days. For more information on applying for a visa abroad, see the visa information page.

Do you need a travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019?
Continuing students and their dependents need a travel signature to travel and return to the U.S. Please contact ISAS to learn how to get a travel signature, or see the Travel section on our Forms page.